Welcome to the family, Flyers! Fall 2021 orientation for all new students will be held from August 17-20. Orientation is an important and mandatory program that will introduce you to the academic, social, and cultural life at the University of Dayton. We look forward to seeing you soon!

You Are Welcome Here



Academic advising with UDayton Global empowers students to gain and expand their knowledge and pursue opportunities to achieve academic, personal, and professional goals. Academic advisors partner with students to promote their holistic development, identify academic and career resources, and encourage meaningful engagement. UDayton Global advisors also work with degree advisors across campus to educate students on degree requirements and to support their persistence and timely graduation.

UDayton Global takes a proactive and intrusive approach to advising. Students meet their advisors during orietnation and advisors reach out directly to request additional meetings throughout the semester. Advising appointments are always available upon request.

Divya Blakemore: For Questions about UD email, how to be a successful student, UDG health insurance, or where to go and what to do in Dayton

Sky Lantz-Wagner: For questions about registration, courses, or tutoring

In the first semester of most majors, student schedules are created by UDayton Global advisors and degree advsiors. During orientation, there will be opportunities to request course changes based on availability.

*Master’s of Computer Science students have two compulsory courses added to their schedules. Graduate Direct student select a 3rd course based on their desired career path or academic interest.

UDayton Global First partners with the Office of Learning Resources to offer tutoring support services. Students can access tutoring in a variety of subject areas and services are currently being delivered online via one-on-one sessions, small groups, study halls, or workshops.

Tutoring is also available through other UD departments such as the Intensive English Program and The Write Place.

Frequently Asked Questions

Log into Porches » Go to Flyer Student Services » Click the Registrion menu » Select Student Schedule

Log into Porches » Go to Flyer Student Services » Click the Records menu » Select Official Transcript Request

Health & COVID-19

While not required, UD strongly urges students to receive a COVID vaccination. Both FDA and WHO approved vaccines are acceptable. The federal government is providing the vaccine at no cost to all people living in the United States, regardless of their immigration or health insurance status.

International students who have not been vaccinated with an FDA or WHO-authorized vaccine must quarantine for 7 full days after travel AND get tested 3-5 days after arrival. Also subject to periodic surveillance testing. International students who are vaccinated do not have to quarantine but must still be tested.

Fall 2021 Info for International Students

Overview of the UD Healthcare System for International Students

All international students are required to maintain adequate medical insurance. Enrollment is mandatory for all International Students with a current passport and student Visa (J-1 or F-1) who are temporarily located outside their home country and are actively engaged in education or educational research activities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Call 937-229-3131 (Please have your UID# and ID card in hand)

Please review the Student Health Center’s FAQs for instructions

You must create a Wellfleet account to access your health insurance ID card:

Yes, term coverage is available for students who have progressed from UDayton Global

No, but you can find affordable vision and dental plans at Delta Dental (https://www.deltadentaloh.com/) and VSP Vision Care.


International Student and Scholar Services provides students and exchange visitors with immigration advising, workshops, and orientation, as well as social and extracurricular activities. ISSS extends its services and support to international faculty and research scholars and their dependents. Through collaboration with other departments and organizations, ISSS advocates on behalf of international students to ensure their academic, personal, and career goals.

Welcome Flyers! Check-In begins on August 17th. Visit the orientation page to learn more.

UD is offering only in-person course options for undergraduate students. Therefore, there is no option to study remotely. Undergraduates intending to continue their studies should plan to be on campus. Graduate students must check with their programs to see what course modalities are offered. Students in graduate programs that offer only or mostly in-person courses should plan to be on campus. International students who started their studies after Mar 9, 2020 cannot study entirely online. They must take at least one credit of blended or in-person classes to maintain status. This applies to new students starting their studies in fall 2021.

ISSS staff are available virtually from 8:30 am-4:30 pm on weekdays. Staff are available in the office from 9:00-11:00 am Monday-Friday if you need to visit in person.

To best serve you please keep in mind the following:

  • Most questions can be answered by phone, email, or virtual advising during normal business hours. If your questions are not urgent, we ask that you first email isss@udayton.edu.
  • Most immigration process requests can now be submitted digitally using the ISSS request form.
  • Virtual advising hour is 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm on Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 9:00 am to 10:00 am on Tuesday and Thursday. Click this Zoom Link to join a virtual advising hour.
  • Please email us to request a phone or video appointment with an advisor if your question is not answered by email and you are unable to attend the virtual advising hour.
  • In-person advising is only available by appointment, for urgent cases.
  • We will still be receiving and sending mail from Rike Center 204. I-20s, DS-2019s, and other immigration documents will be mailed to you as necessary.

Housing and Dining

Frequently Asked Questions

For Fall 2021 semester, move-in begins August 11-19 (new students) and August 20-22 (returning students)

The housing contract can be accessed through the housing portal.

Job & Career Services

On Campus Employment: This is a benefit available to all students maintaining valid F1 status. It is not necessary to obtain special work authorization from USCIS to work on-campus; however, you must obtain an on-campus employment certification signed by an ISSS advisor to submit to Human Resources. Please review the F-1 On-Campus Employment Online Information to make sure you understand all the policies and regulations on this type of employment.
F-1 Campus Employment Information

Curricular Practical Training (CPT): CPT is a practical training that is performed for academic credit (part of the school curriculum and commensurate to degree level) AND that is required as part of the academic plan or program curriculum from ALL students in the program.

This includes:

  • Required internship, practicum, student teaching or field experience (paid or unpaid)
  • Optional internships for credit (MUST be in student’s major or program of study)
  • Cooperative (Co-op) education programs for credit (MUST be in student’s major or program of study

To learn more about CPT, you can visit the CPT information section on the ISSS website.
ISSS page on CPT

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status are permitted by the USCIS to work towards getting practical training to complement their field of studies once they have completed their program of studies. “Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Eligible students can apply to receive up to 12 months of OPT employment authorization before completing their academic studies (pre-completion) and/or after completing their academic studies (post-completion). However, all periods of pre-completion OPT will be deducted from the available period of post-completion OPT.”

To learn more about OPT, you can visit the OPT information section on the ISSS Website.
ISSS page on OPT

Remember that working off-campus outside of an approved OPT or CPT program is illegal!

The Career Accelerator program is an exclusive service that helps you develop your professional skills, get an internship, and launch your career. Your Career Advisor is Brittany Chill. To schedule an appointment with her, please go to: https://calendly.com/brittanychill

Frequently Asked Questions

You may apply for a social security number ONLY if you have been offered a job on-campus or if you have been granted practical training (CPT or OPT) employment authorization (keep in mind that practical training options are generally not available to new students). An SSN will be given to you for employment purposes only, NOT for purposes such as applying for credit cards, renting an apartment, etc. After receiving a job offer, submit the ISSS Immigration Process Request form. This form will give ISSS the information we need to create the Social Security letter. We will email you further instructions when the letter is ready to be picked up from our office.
Bring the form to your employer to sign. This must be an original (not-electronic) signature.
Once the form is complete, you can follow the instructions issued by ISSS to apply at the Social Security Office downtown.
You are eligible to begin working after you submit a receipt or letter confirming your social security number application to Student Employment.


Scholarships & Finances

American higher education is quite expensive compared to that of other countries. To offset the cost of tuition, scholarships and grants may be available.

It is more common to be awarded a scholarship and grants to be awarded prior to enrolling in an American university. However, there are some opportunities that you may be able to take advantage of.

Click on the link to learn more. The Free Scholarship Search Services at the bottom of the page may be especially helpful.

When considering American banks during your stay there are a variety of types to choose from.

National Banks
National banks are those such as Chase, Wells Fargo, and Citibank. There are many locations across the country, providing convenience for customers.

Credit Union
Like banks, credit unions accept deposits, make loans and provide other financial services. But as member-owned and cooperative institutions, credit unions provide a safe place to save and borrow at reasonable rates.

Online Banks
Online banking means managing your bank accounts with a computer or mobile device. This includes transferring funds, depositing checks and paying bills electronically. Because there are no physical locations, often times fees are lower and interest rates are higher than at national banks. Standard services with online banking include ATM fee reimbursement, advanced security, and high accessibility.

To open a bank account, you will be asked for a number of supporting documents for your application. These might include:

  • Current Passport
  • Proof of address- a piece of mail will usually suffice
  • A letter of enrollment from your college
  • A personal identification number
  • Social security number (only available if you have a job)
  • Student ID number
  • Passport number
  • An international ID number with photo identification
  • Individual taxpayer identification number

If your visa has been denied, please work with your Enrollment Services Advisor to receive a refund for your deposit.

If you have overpaid for tuition or other expenses, please contact the UDayton Global Managing Director, who will work with you to either return funds to your bank account or to apply funds to the next semester’s tuition. Refunds take approximately 45 business days (6 weeks) to process.

More information about refunds is available in the Enrollment Contract under Tuition and Fees: Refunds

Frequently Asked Questions

Please contact the UDayton Global Managing Director to get a receipt for tution and other fees.


Once you complete your UDayton Global program you will progress and several important changes will occur.

After you progress from UDayton Global, your tuition and fees will be paid directly to Flyer Student Services through your Porches account in My Payment Center.

Health Insurance
According to university health requirements, all international students are required to have health insurance coverage while enrolled (including vacations). Please note the expiration date of your insurance policy. After you progress, you will have the opportunity to renew your current policy, and we will gladly support you in doing so.

Academic & Career Advising
Going forward, you will rely on the academic advisor for your major and the ISSS office for advising. If you do not know who your academic advisor is, please contact the Academic or Student Services team and they will gladly help you with that.

Career advising and CAP information will be available after you progress. Please contact Brittany Chill to schedule an appointment.

Clubs and Organizations

Parking and Transport